Sunday, 10 September 2017

5 steps to a healthier lifestyle




I started this health journey about a year ago, but only started being really serious about it about four months ago. Coming from a person that has always struggled with being overweight (at some point recently obese as well) losing weight has never been easy to me. So I started this health journey in order to lose weight. Things changed as I started working out more and more just because I felt so good feeling the results of working out on my body and my mood.

But in truth food was (and is) the hardest for me. I love food and before I decided to change my lifestyle and do something about my weight I would eat anything I want and that involved way too much sugar, fat and salt and barely any nutritional goods. I had to start counting calories and actually looking into what I eat to realise what I was doing to my body and although I don't think calorie counting is for everyone I think everyone should give it a go (count both calories and nutritional values like macros (carbs, protein, fat) and vitamins/minerals). 

Here are 5 tips to get into a healthy lifestyle and love the process (cause life is too short to not have that slice of cake but it's also too short not to have a strong healthy body). And of course I'm not a doctor and this is just my personal experience on food and some tips I have seen working for me. 


  • Find a workout/sport that you like
I am not one for workouts. I don't hate them, don't get me wrong but I can't just do any workout. I had to find what I like. For me, it's gymnastics, dancing, yoga, and tennis. I hate running, any team sport that involves a ball and jumping rope. 
Try doing something you loved as a child, whether that might have been team sports, riding your bike or climbing try to get the same excitement through it, you'll probably end up doing it just for fun at the end of the day. Actually, this is what working out should be: having fun, playing and feeling that inner kid in you taking over. There is a reason why people call sports "games", they are meant for people to have fun while doing them.
On the other hand, you could just work out in a gym and feel the gratification of doing something good for yourself. Believe me these minutes you will spend on working out will make you realize you need to take care of yourself and give you so much self-confidence.  


  • Make your favorite unhealthy food, healthy

Now you can find all kinds of amazingly delicious recipes that were never converted from a "naughty" originals, but you know... sometimes you gotta have those chicken wings or fried rice or carbonara. The internet is your best friend when it comes to finding amazing, delicious healthy recipes and also you could try finding the more unhealthy version, "healthified". 
In case you have no luck finding a healthy recipe of your favorite food you could just think of what makes your food unhealthy or calorie-rich and try to swap or eliminate the ingredient. Just experiment and you'll probably thank yourself later. 



  • Portion control unhealthy food or increase filling, vegetable based foods.
Sometimes even if you have found that healthy recipe, even if you love healthy food, you might still want to get unhealthy food. Everything is good in moderation. Try to limit the times you might have unhealthy food and try to portion control. Portion control is really important anyway, but you should consider it, even more, when it comes to more unhealthy, calorie-dense food. Try to fill up with greens and other vegetables as salads or simple, vegetable-based soups. This way you can be full and also have the unhealthy food if you want it. Remember this is something to be done in moderation.

  • Set your goals and put them somewhere you can see them. 
Mental health is so important to physical and vice versa. If you change your physical health you will see a change in your state of mind and same will happen the other way around. Goals are dreams written down and I have always believed that if you write something on paper you are halfway there. So believe in yourself, create the steps to a dream of yours and write the steps to get there. Put it somewhere you see it every day. It will motivate you and remind you what you are trying to get to. And when you tick that first box you will feel amazing! It will prove to you, you can do whatever you set your mind to. 


  • Devote love and time to yourself, do something you love, respect your time
As I said before, mental health is very important. You need to realize you are doing this for yourself and that you should love that. More often than not we end up doing everything for others not even realizing that you can't give anyone love and affection if you don't give it first to yourself. So every day, take time off to do something you love and fills you with joy. Be mindful of your time and the fact that you are doing this for yourself, savor the moment and be grateful for having the chance to do it. 

Hoped some of the tips helped you or inspired you! Don't forget to leave me a comment and tell me what you think!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always smile when I read your comments and appreciate and answer every one of them! Feel free to leave a link to your blog!
Πάντα χαμογελάω όταν διαβάζω τα σχόλιά σας, τα εκτιμώ απίστευτα και απαντάω σε όλα! Μπορείτε αν θέλετε να αφήσετε σύνδεσμο για το blog σας!